Progenitor stem cells have been used for a variety of medical treatments to repair and regenerate acute and chronically damaged tissues. Stem cell treatments have traditionally been associated with the controversial use of embryonic cells. Some overseas centers are using bone marrow derived stem cells, which can be removed from the pelvis and then cultured to increase cell count to a therapeutic range. A recent technological breakthrough enables us to now use stem cells from a person’s own fat which is easily available from liposuction and contains cell quantities up to 3000 times those seen in bone marrow. These cells have the potential to repair human tissue by forming cells of mesenchymal origin, such as cartilage, bone, fat, muscle and blood vessels.
Using technology developed in Korea and perfected in California, these autologous (your own) fat stem cells from liposuction are processed in a closed system so that no dangerous additives or bio- hazardous products are added and there is no exposure to the environment maintaining strict sterility. The liposuction fat provides us with SVF STROMAL VASCULAR FRACTION which contains adult stem cells and growth factors which are signaling molecules. Once SVF is injected back into the patient, the healing cells seek out the sites of damage and disease and become activated. We have anecdotal and experimental evidence that stem cell therapy is effective in healing and regeneration and seeks out damaged tissues to form healthy new blood vessels, urothelial lining, and smooth muscle. SVF has also shown immuno-modulatory properties and can mitigate auto-immune diseases. Interstitial cystitis appears to have some auto-immune features. Processing and deployment of adipose derived stem cells represents a new surgical technology that allows patients to receive their own autologous stem cells in an outpatient setting using local anesthetic.
Dr. Lander is the Co-Medical Director of California Stem Cell Treatment Center® and the Cell surgical Network™ which is an international research collaboration dedicated to the investigational use of adult mesenchymal stem cells found in fat tissue. The goal of the project is to use regenerative cells from one’s own body to provide relief for patients suffering from certain chronic degenerative diseases that have been resistant to common modalities of treatment such as Interstitial Cystitis.
We take a global approach to the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis. In addition to supporting diet, pain relief, and measures to relieve pelvic floor spasm, we have a “two pronged attack”:
- We use STROMAL VASCULAR FRACTION (immune-modulating effects from adult stem cells and growth factors) as an intravenous systemic therapy.
- We use STROMAL VASCULAR FRACTION (anti-inflammatory and regenerative effects from adult stem cells and growth factors) as a regional treatment into the pelvic floor and nerve network of the bladder
- We use UROBEX a highly effective topical pentosan in liposomes barrier restoration therapy (instilled into the bladder) to interrupt the cascade of pain and inflammation and give the cell therapy an chance to heal the bladder. Click here to see more about Urobex.
- To learn more about our protocols please see our stem cell revolution website: http://www.stemcellrevolution.com/currently-studying/urology/interstitial-cystitis/
- To learn more about our barrier restoration therapy, please click here
Call Dr. Lander to learn more at 760-776-0040
This treatment is investigational and is not FDA approved for Interstitial Cystitis.